The drummer, who co-founded the rock band in 1967, said too much water had passed under the “proverbial bridge” “Hopefully at some point we will do something, but who is to say? It would be a fascinating event.
The singer left the band in acrimonious circumstances last year and said he had been fired by Stevie Nicks, who reportedly became enraged after he was seen “smirking” while she delivered a speech at a benefit concert.
He was the best player of the band. The latest concerts of the band sounded lousy, Stevie Nicks had no voice, other band players are obsolete.
Excerpt from Belfast Telegraph – Asked whether he thought they would ever play together again, Fleetwood said: “I really don’t know. I suspect not. I think so much water has passed under the proverbial bridge. And we have a great band as we are with Neil and Mike. (The full interview will premiere on Sunday November 22 at 7pm via The Other Songs website.)
“Hopefully at some point we will do something, but who is to say? It would be a fascinating event.
“Certainly I wouldn’t not welcome the possibility of even just one time, with something that involved an ultimate form of healing and just, ‘It’s okay’.“But I think it is fairly unlikely. But in terms of pipe dream stuff there are so many different facets that aren’t selfishly mine that would have to be answered by other people.”
Stevie Nicks claimed that Buckingham was fired over a tour dispute, however in an October interview with Rolling Stone, Buckinghamfirmly blamed Nicks for his acrimonious exit.
“The truth is, call it what you want, a parting of company took place, and it had to take place, and it was supported by the remaining band members around something that for sure was a major problem to two people – Lindsey and Stevie,” he explained. (NME)
Buckingham also filed a lawsuit against his ex-Fleetwood Mac band mates, claiming he lost out on at least $12million from their sprawling 60-date North American tour. The lawsuit was eventually settled outside of court.
In an exclusive interview with MOJO magazine, Christine McVie has now said there was “no way” Fleetwood Mac could continue with Buckingham still in the band.
Speaking before Buckingham underwent emergency open heart surgery in February, McVie said of his departure: “It was the only route we could take, because there was just too much animosity between certain members of the band at that point, and there was just no way it could’ve gone on as a five piece, a group with Lindsey in the band. So, it was either just completely break up the band, or try and make the best of it.”Keyboardist Christine McVie also said that the band had to “make a choice” and she feared a split could be on the cards if decisive action didn’t take place.
“Support really could not be given to ask the situation to continue. It was too challenging,” he explained.
Fleetwood denied that Buckingham was sacked, but says the animosity between the warring ex-lovers ultimately led to his departure.